Many a couple rang in to express their dismay at the prohibitive costs and stress while undergoing this procedure. Some spent more than 15,000 Euros each time with no success. Some complained the stress of hormonal injections that caused emotional upsets, and with the high costs in tow, many suffered strained relationships etc.
I rang the station, identified myself and asked if I could get a word in. The operator very politely took down my name and phone number and that was the end of the story.
Please do not think I am here to run down the IVF clinics in this country. They are staffed by well qualified Dr’s who are well trained Gynaecologists/Embryologists, etc.The high cost of treatment [leaving greed out of the picture] may be due to the complicated procedures that are needed to be carried out before the patient can conceive. However, the success rate [a terrible term] is estimated to be around the 25 - 45% mark worldwide.
I tried to suggest that these anxious couples should try an alternative way, that of Traditional Chinese Acupuncture, either by itself, or in conjunction with the IVF treatments. Each case is different and each patient is special.In my clinic here in Kilmeaden, Co. Waterford, I did a short study of the first 30 cases I treated with Acupuncture, and found a 70% success rate. The patients studied either had Acupuncture treatment by itself or combined it with a previously failed IVF procedure. At the clinic we get a higher rate of success these days when the age group of female patients treated were from the 20’s to the later 30’s age group. The percentage falls when one approaches the 40+ mark.
Of the successful patients, I need to say no more, but Good Luck and may ye go forth and multiply!Let us now talk about the usual causes of non conception... or infertility.
- Ovulation disorders due to an imbalance of hormonal levels that are necessary for normal egg production and release into the uterus through the fallopian tubes.
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease [PID]
- Congenital abnormalities in the patient`s uterine structure.
- Presence of Fibroids/endometriosis in the uterus or fallopian tubes for example.
- Previous pelvic infections resulting in formation of fibrous tissue occluding ovarian or Tubal passage
- Thyroid gland disorders/pituitary gland problems leading to abnormal hormonal levels necessary for egg production.
- High Blood pressure / diabetes , other systemic diseases
- Lack of sperm
- Total lack of sperm
- Abnormal sperm morphology or structure
- Causes can be congenital, obesity, smoking, or even excessive exercise!!
- And Stress, resulting in erectile dysfunction.
Speaking from 28 years of practicing acupuncture in Ireland.
- Acupuncture has been found to normalise or regulate menstrual cycles. Leading to a more predictable and normal state and feeling of well being.
- Acupuncture helps to normalise the womb structure/surface and prepares it to receive a fertilized egg if there is conception.
- Treats stress related conditions, like high blood pressure, anxiety, insomnia, menstrual irregularities etc...
- Helps with egg production. Used together with Chinese herb, results appear to be improved.